APPEARANCE: Odourless, white crystals.
A product which is usually used in stain removal, tanning and removing rust. A powerful cleaner capable of cleaning metal in many industries and other lab processes. Safety information and warnings on back of tub that the product will arrive in.
Oxalic acid’s main applications include cleaning or bleaching, especially for the removal of rust (iron complexing agent). Its utility in rust removal agents is due to its forming a stable, water-soluble salt with ferric iron. Oxalic acid is an important reagent in lanthanide chemistry. Hydrated lanthanide oxalates form readily in very strongly acidic solutions in a densely crystalline, easily filtered form, largely free of contamination by nonlanthanide elements. Thermal decomposition of these oxalate gives the oxides, which is the most commonly marketed form of these elements.
We supply all our powder based products in special heat sealed bags with the safety information clearly displayed.
Oxalic acid is an essential household chemical that can be used, like many acids, as a cleaner for various things; for example, as a rust remover, a cleaning agent, on wood work as a stain lifter, as a bleaching agent, and many more. This acid is a natural component of plants and vegetables such as buckwheat and rhubarb and is available for purchase in powdered form or pre diluted liquid from Trade Chemicals.
The oxalic powder is then mixed with water to turn into a solution of oxalic acid. At high doses, oxalic acid is very dangerous, but at moderate doses it is safe for various useful functions.
We suggest that you investigate exact dilution rates for your intended purpose – the internet will provide you with a wealth of information on exact dilution and mixing rates for various applications
Our information is a very basic guide to popular uses
Oxalic acid can be used as a bleaching agent for both wood and stone. Wood, when exposed to the elements, can turn gray. When oxalic acid is applied on an old and graying wood floor, it brings back the wood floor’s natural white colour. Actually, this acid is often used when preparing to stain old wood floors. It is also used by furniture manufacturers to lighten heavily stained areas of wood furniture in preparation for refinishing.
- Removing Stains
Oxalic acid effectively removes ink, food stains, and many other types of stains. It is a gentle stain remover that eats the stain but leaves the base surfaces, such as wood, intact. You can use oxalic acid to remove most stains found on stone, brick, linoleum, wood, and vinyl surfaces.
However, do not use oxalic acid if your flooring is sealed as it will eat through the finishing.
Although you can also use oxalic acid to remove stains from fabrics such as linen and cotton, it will take a lot of time, so it is better to have your fabrics dry cleaned instead.
- Removing Rusts
Oxalic acid is also used to remove rusts that are commonly found on plumbing pipes and kitchen countertops, and is a major ingredient found in commercial rust removers for sinks, tubs, and metal rust stains.
- Other Uses
Aside from bleaching, rust removing, and stain removing, oxalic acid is also used as a reducing agent in developing photographic film. You can also find it used in wastewater treatment as well since oxalic acid can effectively remove calcium from wastewater. And lastly, oxalic acid is also used as a grinding agent when polishing marble.
Oxalic acid in its pure form is very dangerous. It is toxic and corrosive and should be carefully handled. When mixing the powdered acid with water, always wear latex gloves to protect your skin. You should also use protective glasses and a dust mask to avoid eye irritation and to prevent the noxious fumes from getting into your lungs. Always mix oxalic acid in an area that is well-ventilated—preferably outdoors. In case of accidental swallowing, never induce vomiting; instead, contact your physician or your local poison control centre immediately.
EYES: Can cause irritation.
SKIN: Can cause irritation.
INHALATION: Can cause serious coverage damage to the mouth, throat and stomach.
INGESTION: Is harmful and fatal if large doses are swallowed.
CARCINOGENICITY: Not listed under OSHA, IARC, or NTP.
AVOID contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Avoid breathing dust. Use normal personal hygiene and housekeeping. Store in a cool dry area away from other incompatible materials.
Product is slightly hydroscopic and should be stored in a dry area to prevent moisture pick up and caking.
It is irritating to the eyes, skin and mucous membranes. Harmful if
ingested. Corrosive vapours may form in a fire. Keep away from oxidizers.
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirators.
VENTILATION REQUIREMENTS: Ventilate as necessary to eliminate dust from the work area.
SKIN AND EYE PROTECTION: Use rubber or neoprene gloves, chemical goggles and clothing sufficient to protect skin from dust.
WORK, HYGIENIC PRACTICES: As required to protect skin and eyes from dust, safety showers and/or eye wash should be available. Do not leave food or smoke in work area. Wash thoroughly and remove or clean any contaminated clothing.
EXPOSURES LIMITS: None established.
KEEP AWAY FROM: Strong oxidizer, alkalies, chlorides, hypochlorites and furfuryl alcohol.
RESPIRATORY EQUIPMENT: If ventilation is insufficient, suitable respiratory protection must be provided.
HAND PROTECTION: Butyl rubber gloves are recommended
EYE PROTECTION: Wear approved safety gloves.
OTHER PROTECTION: Wear rubber apron. Wear rubber footwear